POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pavement conundrum : Re: Pavement conundrum Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pavement conundrum
From: Jim Charter
Date: 7 Sep 2008 23:07:44
Message: <48c49700$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Once in a while I try to solve this puzzle, but I give up. It is beyond my
> skills.
>
> How would one model this pavement in POV-Ray? It looks simpler than it is
> as - obviously - the inner arc of a row of stones is smaller than the outer
> arc. In RL (as on the examples below) this is constantly compensated I
> suppose to keep the pattern regular and symmetrical....
>
> Thomas

This is pretty close to what I did with the circular mosaic patterns on
the table tops I posted recently.
The code is real messy, it probably would be more work for you to try
and read it than to write your own but I will try to annotate it if you
are interested.
Basically what I contrived, was a set of concentric bands or rings of a
preset width. Since the tiles were considered squares the width of the
band determined the number of tiles along the inner circumference.  But
each sucessive band, as you expand from the center, does not add enough
circumference to accommodate a whole new tile along it each time.  So
what I did was average the growing discrepency across the gaps of all
the tiles, rather than leave a gap or try to make a partial tile at the
end.  Then when the circumference had expanded enough, I added a new
tile.  Also I randomized the 'starting' point for each ring of tiles.